Tuesday 16 August 2016

Smallholding tours . . .

I run smallholding tours - see the orchard, bees, chickens, veg garden etc whilst I wax lyrical on grafting fruit trees, trying to be self-sufficient in fruit and veg, permaculture, seeing ourselves as stewards of the land  (as opposed to property owners), attuning to the seasons and the simple joy of being outside . . .

See tab above for details.

Recently, anticipating a Summer rush, I put a notice in the village shop. Which to my surprise quite a few people have seen.

Yesterday I did a tour for a five year-old and her grandmother. And it went quite well . . . she collected eggs, sampled snap peas, tomatoes and purple podded peas. She (the five year-old / 'nearly six') told me she liked mint tea so we picked mint and black peppermint too. We explored the veg garden, the greenhouse and the fruit trees.

To finish I put her in Sarah's bee suit and we looked at the bees!



She went home with mint and eggs and peas and beans; maybe next year she will grow some of the peas in her garden in London.

I hope (as I do after every tour) that I might have inspired something.

No comments:

Post a Comment